The perfect dish for your holiday table packed with flavor.
Total Time: 80 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
- 6 cups diced gluten-free bread, cut in ½ inch diced pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 cups finely sliced leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ pound shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ cup sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and evenly distribute bread pieces on the tray. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the sweet Italian sausage and cook, stirring frequently to break up the sausage, for 5 to 7 minutes until browned.
- Add remaining butter, leeks, cremini mushrooms and shiitake mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until the leeks are softened and the mushrooms are lightly golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add in the sherry, Italian seasoning and salt and cook, stirring often, until the liquid is almost fully reduced. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, chicken stock and 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese. Stir in the sausage and leek mixture as well as the toasted bread pieces.
- Pour the stuffing mixture into a 3-quart casserole dish and sprinkle remaining Gruyere cheese on top. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes until the stuffing is set and golden brown on top.