No offense to traditional stuffing, but this dressing is sure to be a highlight this season. This dish will beautifully complement your holiday turkey — and, best of all, no one will believe this indulgent side contains only 121 calories per serving.
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped shiitake or button mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (optional)*
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in medium saucepan. Stir in rice. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 45 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and celery; cook and stir 7 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in rice, cranberries, pecans, if desired, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, sage and pepper. Spoon into prepared casserole.
- Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.
*To toast pecans, spread in single layer in heavy-bottomed skillet. Cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until nuts are lightly browned. Remove from skillet immediately. Cool before using.
Leave a Reply